Sunday 29 January 2012

Adolescent Egocentricism

The concept of adolescent egocentrism didn't really make sense to me so I did my own research and this is what I found:
-It occurs in tweens and teens
-At this point teenagers believe that everyone is very interested and attentive to what he or she looks like.
-"All eyes on me" feeling.
-It is a developmental normal cognitive limitation.
   --In other words can not be avoided it happens without the teenager trying to do so or not.
-It normally appears around 11 or 12 years old and dissapears around 15 or 16 years old.
-During this stage teens spend a lot of time preparing themselves before going into public because they think others will notice if they don't "look good".
-Teens are easily embarassed during this stage. They believe that everyone will remember forever if they did something that they felt blemished there public image.
-First discussed by pyschologist David Elkind.
Source: http://tweenparenting.about.com/od/behaviordiscipline/a/AdolescentEgocentrism.htm
After completing this research it is understood that this is a stage where teeneagers are very concerned with their image as well as what others think of them. One thing that is not clear to me is I am 19 years old and I know that at 15 and 16 I cared more than ever what others thought of me. To some extent I still do. I don't believe that it tapers off around age 15 or 16 as this is the year that most children are entering high school. One thing that came to mind when completing this research was the very first class' information about being careful when interpreting information about child pyschology. I agree with some of the information presented but it is important to remain wary and understand that is is not always completely 100% true. I remember going through this stage as a teen (maybe even a tween) but I definitley do not agree that is generally tapers off around 15 years old simply because of my life experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment